Sunday, October 1, 2017

By Mouse and Frog by Deborah Freedman

One day Mouse decides to write a story. The only problem: her friend Frog wants to help. But he's a little too excited and soon the story is a mess. What's a mouse to do?

Thoughts: I love By Mouse and Frog. It works on so many levels. Fun for storytime but also for using with older kids as an invitation for them to write stories of their own. The illustrations are lovely. I like the soft colors and the pencil drawings. I wish I knew all the references to famous children's books, but I only recognized a few. By Mouse and Frog would make an interesting lesson in children's picture books. Pair this with Dog loves Drawing by Louise Yates, Journey by Aaron Becker, and Violet and Victor Write the Most Fabulous Fairy Tale by Alice Kuipers.

Themes: Friendship, Writing, Drawing, Imagination

(Viking, 2015)

No comments: