Thursday, February 12, 2015

Harry Potter Party

You may remember my Harry Potter Yule Ball from a couple of years ago. This party is similar and was a request by the middle schoolers at one of my branches.


Decor:
House Points (colored counters in shaped glass vases)
Flying Keys (keys bought at Michaels, wings were an online template)
Dragon Egg (Crayola Model Magic & assorted beads/jewels)
Sorting Hat (a $1 purple witch's hat I picked up years ago)
Follow the Spiders (I wanted to tape these to the wall near a window, but I ran out of time. Instead I laid them out on star covered fabric.)
On the refreshment table: foam pumpkins I painted silver & gold, golden snitches (ping pong balls painted gold with white feathers glued on), fake fall leaves
Craft: paper bag Whomping Willows


The refreshments were Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, Licorice Wands, Lemon Drops, Pumpkin Bread, Fish Crackers, and Butterbeer. I tried a new recipe for butterbeer this time and everyone loved it. Basically it was vanilla ice cream, cream soda, and butterscotch sundae syrup.


 House Tables: red, yellow, glue, and green tablecloths with the House shields printed on brown paper (found the shields on Pinterest)

More Decor:
Eeylops Owl Emporium (green tablecloth, green tulle, sign on green paper, assorted ceramic & glass owls from my personal collection
Owl Post Office: felt owl from Dollar Store, owl post signs (Pinterest), letters I made with envelopes, rubber stamps, & paint, stuffed owls from my personal collection

Photo Booths:
Platform 9 3/4 (craft paper painted to looking like red bricks, sign)
Signpost with locations from the books series (printed on brown paper and glued to arrow shapes cut out of packing paper...if I do this again, I'm going to outline them in black and add a post to give it some definition.
We played Harry Potter Trivia (jeopardy style), Harry Potter Would You Rather (Pinterst), and went on a Horcrux hunt. For more details on the activities, see my post about the Harry Potter Yule Ball (linked above) or my Harry Potter Party Pinterest board. Brytani, another NC librarian, hosted a fun Harry Potter Birthday Party last July. Bloomsbury (publisher of the HP series) has designated February 5 as Harry Potter Book Night. Visit their site for more information including an event kit.

1 comment:

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

I did a Harry Pottery Party every year in my 5th grade classroom. Now I am in the school library and would like to try and do something similar. Thanks for the great ideas!