Thursday, January 30, 2014

Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

Being a rabbit, Jasper especially likes carrots. Luckily for him, they grow wild in Crackenhopper Field. His fondness for carrots doesn't diminish until he notices they've taken to following him.

What I thought: A fun story! I can't wait to use it in storytime. It's a spooky story without being scary because really how scary can carrots be? Peter Brown's illustrations are wonderful. I love the shades of gray with only the carrots for color. My favorite illustration is the last two-page spread (cheering carrots). I could also use Creepy Carrots! in storytime around Halloween. Maybe pair it with Dr. Seuss's What Was I Scared of? and The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Tree.

Storytime Themes: Rabbits, Carrots, Vegetables, Not So Scary Stories

(Illustrated by Peter Brown. Simon & Schuster, 2012. Caldecott Honor Book, 2013.)

No comments: