Monday, June 10, 2013

Summer Reading Week 1

June 3-6 was registration for the summer reading contest at my four branch libraries. I had 9 registration sessions and registered 176 kids for the contest. Including adults, I saw 279 people last week. Registration will continue through June 10-13.

I divide the contest into the following age groups: 0-2 years, 3-5 years, 6-8 years, 9-12 years, and 13-18 years. The 0-2 group complete and early literacy log and receive at rubber duck at the end of the contest. I was inspired by Marge Loch-Wouters' post about her library's Rubber Ducky Club to start doing something for this age group.


The 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12 groups all read for at least 20 minutes per day for 48 days. Each day they read, they color off a clipart image on their log.


I used the "additional" clipart from the CSLP Early Literacy and Children's manuals to create the logs.

 
Ages 13-18  read 5 books in a specified length of time.

 
Two of my branches are showing children's, family, and/or teen movies to correspond with the Summer Reading Program theme and dates. We had 2 movies during registration week with an attendance of 19.
 
Even in the midst of the chaos that is Summer Reading, I find myself looking ahead to my fall story times and programs and even next year's Summer Reading Program. I think the science theme is going to be very fun.
 
Events start this week. I'm having 5 community story time sessions, 4 community school age events, 11 day camp groups, a Peter Rabbit Party, and 2 movies. I'm hoping to post a Summer Reading Update every week during my program. I'm enjoying reading about other libraries' and librarian's events this summer. 

No comments: