Thursday, April 4, 2013

National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry edited by J. Patrick Lewis

Subtitle: 200 Poems with Photographs that Squeak, Soar, and Roar

Summary from the Dust Jacket: Animals chirp, caw, growl, and glide their way through this lively yet exquisite collection of two hundred animal poems with accompanying photographs. Old favorites and brand new voices mingle in a collection lovingly selected by U.S. Children's Poet Laureate J. Patrick Lewis.

What I thought: This is a great collection. I love the  mixture of old and new poems, traditional and innovative forms. The photographs are stunning.

Here are the divisions:
Welcome to the World
The Big Ones
The Little Ones
The Winged Ones
The Water Ones
The Strange Ones
The Noisy Ones
The Quiet Ones
Final Thought
I took Lewis's advice, "This book is not for reading through" (7). I read the collection over a couple of weeks giving myself a daily poetry break. Such an enjoyable time! I love the "Writing Poems about Animals" and "Resources" sections at the end of the book.

(National Geographic, 2012)

No comments: