Friday, April 27, 2012

UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems & Paintings by Douglas Florian

Florian goes bee crazy in his new collection. In 14 poems, he explores every aspect of the honeybee's life. Extra facts make the poems even better because the reader discovers that the poems are based on fact.

What I thought: I'm a serious Florian fan! What I like most about this collection is the factoids. I recently used his Insectlopedia in a family story time and the kids wanted to know more about the insects the poems were about. The format he uses in UnBEElievables is perfect. Florian's collections would pair well with Joyce Sidman's nature poetry collections. As usual, I love the illustrations. They have definite kid appeal. I especially like the colors on the poem pages--very eye catching. My favorite poems are "Summer Hummer," "Waggle Dance," and "Bees Buzz."

(Beach Lane Books, 2012)

No comments: