Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Red Wagon by Renata Liwska

Lucy loves her new red wagon. She can't wait to play with it, but playing will have to wait because Lucy's mom sends her and her wagon on an errand. To market they go! On the way, Lucy and her friends have some highly imaginative adventures with the red wagon. It becomes a sailboat, a covered wagon, a circus caboose, a train, a rocket ship, and a truck. When your imagination is in the wight place, even chores can be fun!

What I thought: Such a great book. Most kids have owned red wagons at one time or another. I received one for Christmas when I was four-years-old. Lucy's adventures bring back fond memories for me. I love the simplicity of the story and how well it pairs with the imaginative illustrations. The illustrations are soft (almost on lines) and yet vibrant. My favorite illustrations are the first page (Lucy and her wagon) and the wagon as a covered wagon. Liwska is a truly gifted author and illustrator.

Story Time Themes: Toys (use Raffi's "Bumping Up and Down" song), Imagination

(Philomel, 2011)

No comments: