Monday, June 13, 2011

Larklight by Philip Reeve

Art and Myrtle expect tomorrow to be like any other day at Larklight, their house in outer space. A visitor soon relieves them of their expectations. With their dad captured by huge spiders, Art and Myrtle are own their own. Rescued by pirates, they still aren't quite sure why they were attacked and and why they are now being pursued by the spiders.

What I thought: Larklight is a fun book. I don't think I would have picked this book up on my own. My search for steampunk books led to its discovery. Art and Myrtle's adventures are great--fast-paced and exciting. The steampunk elements are very evident in this story. Larklight strikes me as a Victorian Star Wars. I look forward to reading the other books in the series: Starcross and Mothstorm.

I read Larklight for the Full Steampunk Ahead Challenge.

(Illus. David Wyatt, Bloomsbury, 2006)

No comments: