Friday, April 8, 2011

Three Rivers Rising by Jame Richards

The summer of 1888 sees the beginning of a romance between Celestia, a rich man's daughter, and Peter, an employee at the hotel. Their separation doesn't end their romance. In the summer of 1889, Celestia and Peter find each other again. But on May 31st, their lives are forever changed when the rains don't stop and the rivers keep rising. When the South Fork Reservoir breaks, can they survive the flood?

What I thought
: I can't resist a verse novel and Three Rivers Rising was quite good. My favorite parts were those concerning Celestia and Peter, but Maura and her husband's story was moving as well. I'd never heard of the Jonhstown Flood, but would like to know more. My favorite verses are those about the memory quilt Maura makes. The book read very quickly. I think that's one of the main appeals of verse novels.

I read Three Rivers Rising for the Young Adult Historical Fiction Challenge.

(Knopf, 2010)

No comments: