Monday, February 7, 2011

Clever Jack Takes the Cake by Candace Fleming

Invited to the princess's birthday party, Jack's lack of funds don't deter him. He barters and trades until he has all the ingredients for a wonderful cake. His journey to the castle is fraught with peril--to the cake that is. Piece by piece, Jack loses it until there's nothing left but the story of his journey. Luckily for him, the princess appreciates unique gifts like stories.

What I thought: I really liked this book. I think it's one of my favorites of 2010. Jack is a great character and the story is loaded with humor. Readers and listeners will sympathize with Jack's plight. I love the illustrations. They are truly unique. My favorites are the bear dancing and Jack and the princess chatting. I plan to use Clever Jack Takes the Cake when I have schools visit the library. I think first and second graders, in particular, will like it.

(Illus. G. Brian Karas. Schwartz & Wade, 2010)

No comments: