Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Great Monster Hunt by Norbert Landa

When Duck hears a noise coming from underneath her bed, she's sure it can't be good. She asks Pig for help. Pig asks Bear for help and Bear asks Wolf for help. Then, Wolf asks Owl for help. Each time the story (of Duck's noise under the bed) is repeated, it gets longer and louder. Owl is sure they're dealing with a monster. And off they go on a monster hunt...only to find a mouse!

What I thought: What a funny book. The friends exaggerate and even the reader doesn't know what's under the bed. Reminds me of a game we used to play when we were kids: pass it on. This formation of friends reminds me of Pooh and company in Milne's book when they're hunting heffalumps and woozles. I love the illustrations. Soft colors and the animals look realistic with a hint of well drawn cartoon. I'll definitely be using this book for my next monster story time.

Story Time Theme: Monsters

(Illus. Tim Warnes. Good Books, 2010)

No comments: