Monday, November 8, 2010

Ladybug Girl & Bumblebee Boy by David Soman & Jacky Davis

Lulu (AKA Ladybug Girl) is headed to the playground. Once there, her friend Sam disagrees about what they should play. Finally, Sam becomes Bubmblebee Boy and together he and Ladybug Girl conquer the villains of the playground.

What I thought: What a charming book! I can't believe I missed the first book. Lulu is such a great little girl. I love her imagination and inventiveness. The exaggeration (e.g., "cracks [...] as big as canyons") she adds to the story is great. I loved the illustrations. Lulu, Sam, and Bingo are wonderfully drawn. (I've always wanted a Basset Hound. Bingo is a great name for one.) My favorite illustrations are the squirrel, Lulu, and Sam with Bingo after saving him and Bingo with wings. I love the issues this book addresses--disagreements, compromise, friendship, and imagination. I can't wait to read the other Ladybug Girl books.

Story Time Themes: Friendship, Imagination

(Dial, 2009)

2 comments:

Brimful Curiosities said...

My daughter was Ladybug Girl for Halloween. We love all the books in the series.

Bridget R. Wilson said...

My niece (15 months on November 3) was a ladybug for Halloween. One of my friend's daughters was, too. Laddybugs (Girl or otherwise) seem to be a very popular Halloween option.