Friday, February 12, 2010

The Dollshop Downstairs by Yona Zeldis McDonough


In 1914, sisters Sophie, Anna, and Trudie live above their father's doll repair shop in New York City, They love playing with the dolls and helping their father and mother with the work. Like all sisters, they sometimes squabble.

When war breaks out in Europe, the family worries about their business. The bulk of their replacement parts come from Germany. Anna comes up with an ingenious plan. They can't repair dolls, but they can make them.

What I thought: A quick and easy read with only nine chapters. A charming story. I love the distinct setting (1914, NYC). I also liked the details the author includes about the family's Jewish faith and culture. Just enough I thought to make a reader want to know more. I was delighted to find out the story is loosely based on Madame Alexander's childhood.

(Illus. Heather Malone. New York: Viking, 2009)

No comments: