Friday, February 26, 2010

As You Wish by Jackson Pearce


Viola is tired of being invisible. One day, her wish for something more is so strong she calls up a genie. He has a job to do--grant three wishes and return to his world where he doesn't age. Viola doesn't make Jinn's job easy. She doesn't know what to wish for. She doesn't want to waste her wishes on something trivial. What Jinn didn't count on was growing to care for Viola. He doesn't want to hurt her. A girl and a genie--in what world can they be together?

What I thought: I love the idea of genies from Disney's Aladdin to the old TV show I Dream of Jeannie. Once I even wrote a story about a girl and a genie. These are the reasons I couldn't help but read this book. I wasn't disappointed. Viola's situation (invisibility) is one my former teenage self can relate to. And I'm sure other readers will as well. The presence of a genie is exotic and exciting. I love that Pearce gives us both points of view--Viola's and Jinn's. It adds depth to the story. Will there be a sequel I wonder?

(New York: Harper Teen, 2009)

No comments: