Monday, September 14, 2009

Diary of a Worm

Cronin, Doreen. Diary of a Worm. Illus. Harry Bliss. New York: Joanna Colter, 2003.

Have you ever wondered what worms do all day besides crawl around in the dirt? Here's the answer, In Diary of a Worm, we discover that worms aren't that different from us. They have families, friends, and go to work and school.

What I thought: An ingenious book that will appeal to a variety of readers (boys especially). I like Cronin's idea behind the book--what would a worm write about in his diary. The result is the hilarious book I read. Such a book would be a possibility for any creature. Dare I hope that there will be more Diary of books from Cronin? Bliss' illustrations added to the story. I was glad to see the different illustrations. A book of nothing but two page spreads wouldn't have expressed Worm so well.

No comments: