Wednesday, May 12, 2021

I've Got a Tail! Terrific Tails of the Animal World by Julie Murphy


Book #3 of the I've Got series by Julie Murphy and Hannah Tolson 

I've Got a Tail! is about twelve different animals and how they use their tails. 

Thoughts: Another hit from Murphy and Tolson! I love short, informative nonfiction books with bright. colorful illustrations. They are great for storytime. The animals included in the book are all wild animals you might see at a zoo or aquarium. I love that the ending asks readers to think about what their pets' tails can do. The map showing where the features animals live is great addition to the book. My favorite animals in the book are Anna's Hummingbird, Common Ringtail Possum, and Arctic Fox. My favorite illustrations are the Spinner Dolphin, Giraffe, and Spider-Tailed Horned Viper. 

Pair with What's This Tail Saying? by Carolyn Combs, Who Has This Tail? by Laura Hulbert, Heads and Tails by John Canty, and Tails by Matthew Van Fleet for an tail themed storytime. 

Pair with any of the following for an animal body parts storytime: This Is My Eye: A New York Story by Neela Vaswani, any of the I Spy books by Edward Gibbs (with My Little Eye, Under the Sea, Pets, on the Farm, in the Sky), The Eye Book by Theo LeSieg, Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On by Lois Ehlert, and Eye to Eye: How Animals See the World by Steve Jenkins, The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss, Who Has These Feet? by Laura Hulbert, I've Got Feet! Fantastical Feet of the Animal World and I've Got Eyes! Exceptional Eyes of the Animal World both by Julie Murphy, Creature Features: 25 Animals Explain Why They Look the Way They Do by Steve JenkinsButts are Everywhere by Jonathan Stutzman, Animals Brag about Their Bottoms by Maki Saito, and Chicken Cheeks by Michael Ian Black

Themes: Tails, Animal Body Parts, Animals 

(Illustrated by Hannah Tolson. Amicus Ink, 2020)

No comments: