Wednesday, October 6, 2021

The Capybaras by Alfredo Soderguit


The chicken coop is a great place to live. Peaceful with plenty of food. Then one day some unexpected visitors arrive--the capybaras. They don't fit in with the hen crowd. Can chickens and capybaras be friends? 

Thoughts: I think capybaras are the cutest and I've got to see some a zoos before. They look like gigantic guinea pigs. I like the friendship that develops between the chickens and the capybaras. The text is sparse and there are several two-page spreads that are wordless. The illustrations remind me of picture books from years ago. I like the detail Soderguit is able to convey in the animals' expressions and the limited color palette. I find it interesting you never really see the humans' faces. The ending vignette leaves the possibility for another book. Or if not, you can ask kids to write that story. 

Themes: Farm, Chickens, Capybaras, South America

(Review Copy Provided by Publisher. Translated by Elisa Amado. Greystone Kids, 2021. )

No comments: