Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Hard-Boiled Bugs for Breakfast and Other Tasty Poems by Jack Prelutsky


Jack Preltusky's first new collection since 2013 does not disappoint. It's packed with more than 100 humorous poems that are exactly what readers have come to expect from Jack Prelutsky. 

Thoughts: Quintessential Jack Prelutsky! I look forward to sharing these poems with first and second graders when I'm able to visit classrooms again. I used to ask students to pick a number, but so many of them would pick the same numbers. I now put all the page numbers in a basket and have kids draw one out. My favorite poems are "A Giant Easter Bunny," "My Lizard," "My Elephant," "The Leaves Are Drifting," "The Kangarooster," "The Stir-Frying Pandas," "The Skigulls," "My Cow," "Fantelopes," "A Groundhog Speaks," "My Cows Have Stopped Mooing," and "We Are the Oceans." Ruth Chan's black and white illustrations perfectly capture the spirit of the poems. 

Other Books by Jack Prelutsky That I've Reviewed: 

(Illustated by Ruth Chan. Greenwillow Books, 2021.)

No comments: