Monday, September 14, 2020

How to Write a Story by Kate Messner

Want to know how to write a story? This book is for you. How to Write a Story explains the process in ten kid-friendly steps.

Thoughts: Too fun! I started writing stories in third grade. I didn't really know what I was doing and would have loved to have a book like this to guide me. The steps make perfect sense and are explained so kids can understand them. The illustrations are colorful and interesting. I love the sea monster and the main character as a mermaid. I look forward to recommending this book to parents and teachers as well as using it myself when I visit elementary classrooms. This book would pair well with This Is a Sea Cow by Cassandra Federman, Amy the Red Panda Is Writing the Best Story in the World by Colleen A. F. Venable, The Bear Report by Thyra Heder, By Mouse and Frog by Deborah Freedman, Violet and Victor Write the Most Fabulous Fairy Tale by Alice Kuipers, Violet and Victor Write the Best-Ever Bookworm Book by Alice Kuipers, and Write! Write! Write! by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater

Themes: Stories, Writing, Elementary 

Bonus: Five Tips to Get Kids Writing at Home by Kate Messner

 (Illustrated by Mark Siegel. Chronicle Books, 2020.)

No comments: