Friday, January 7, 2022

A Most Clever Girl: How Jane Austen Discovered Her Voice by Jasmine A. Stirling


This charming picture book biography focuses on Jane Austen's love of stories and words. The book follows her as she decides to write and perfects her craft over the years. 

Thoughts: I've been a fan of Jane Austen ever since I saw the 1996 adaptation of Emma on A&E when I was in high school. I didn't actually read her books until I was in graduate school. Her books offer so much enjoyment even more than a century after their publications. A Most Clever Girl is a great introduction to Jane and her love of writing. The illustrations are soft-colored and engaging. Notes from the author and illustrator are included as well as resources and a selected bibliography. I think anyone who reads this book will want to know more about Jane and eventually read her books. 

(Illustrated by Vesper Stamper. Bloomsbury Children's Books, 2021.)

No comments: