Wednesday, March 24, 2021

So You Want to Be an Owl by Jane Porter


Professor Olaf is quite sure that you, a human, cannot be an owl. However, he'll take you through owl school and the nine lessons it takes to be an owl. 

Thoughts: Too funny. Professor Olaf as a narrator is ingenious. I love how he continually disparages humans throughout the lessons. So You Want to Be an Owl is both fun and informative. My favorite lesson is #7, hooting. I enjoyed trying out the different owls' sounds and even discovered a few owls I'd never heard of...the Barking Owl and the Boobook Owl are now my favorites. The mixed media illustrations are colorful and detailed. The different characters have such personality. This will be a great book to share with first and second grade students when I visit their classrooms. 

Themes: Elementary 

(Illustrated by Maddie Frost. Candlewick Press, 2021.)

No comments: