Monday, March 29, 2021

Sharko and Hippo by Elliott Kalan


Unlikely friends Sharko and Hippo are going fishing. Hilarity ensues when Hippo repeatedly misunderstands what Sharko needs from him. 

Thoughts: Sharko and Hippo is one of the funniest books I've read recently. I hope there will be more books to come. I love the speech bubbles and the colorful illustrations. The facial expressions are my favorite. I also like the supporting characters and objects that come out of Hippo's pockets. I think this book would pair well with The Monkey Goes Bananas by C. P. Bloom, Misunderstood Shark by Ame Dyckman, and The Truth about Hippos by Maxwell Eaton III. The wordplay reminds me of Falling for Rapunzel by Leah Wilcox. 

Themes: Friendship, Sharks, Hippos, Wordplay 

(Illustrated by Andrea Tsurumi. Balzer + Bray, 2020.)

No comments: