Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Beware! by Bob Raczka



Can a bee and a bear be friends?

Thoughts: I love how Bob Raczka uses the poetic form he first introduced in Lemonade & Other Poems Squeezed from a Single Word to create a picture book. I've tried my hand at writing this type of poem and it's very fun. The story is great and I'm amazed at the great story words created with only five letters could produce. I look forward to adding this to my bears storytime. It will pair well with Bear & Bee by Sergio Ruzzier. The watercolor illustrations are perfect and they add much to the story with both the bears' and the bees' expressions. This book would also work well with older students in conjunction with Lemonade as a creative writing exercise. 

Themes: Bears, Bees, Friendship, Wordplay, Elementary

(Illustrated by Larry Day. Charlesbridge, 2019.)

No comments: