Monday, February 24, 2020

One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller by Kate Read



It starts with one fox and ends with one fox. What happens in the middle might surprise you.

Thoughts: I shared this book recently during my number storytime. I prefacing my reading by telling the kids it was a scary book and read it in a suspenseful voice. It's simple, but the story is fascinating. It reminds me a little of Plume by Isabelle Simler. The illustrations are lovely--bright and colorful with good use of white space. "Mixed media with collage and painting" might be one of my new favorite illustration styles. My favorite illustrations are sly eyes and 100 angry hens. The publisher's website has an activity kit that includes storytime ideas as well as activities for kids (counting, naming, coloring, and origami).

Themes: Counting/Numbers, Foxes, Chickens, Farms

(Peachtree, 2019.)

No comments: