Thursday, August 24, 2017

Things To Do by Elaine Magliaro

Illustrated by Catia Chien

A first collection. The poems begin simply with the words "Things to do if you are a/an [insert noun]" and proceeds to take you through a day.

The poems: dawn, birds, honeybee, acorn, snail, sun, sky, eraser, scissors, rain, boots, orb-spider, crickets, and moon. 

Thoughts: I have loved Elaine's poetry since I discovered her blog Wild Rose Reader during National Poetry Month years ago. I am thrilled that she has finally published a collection. Her "things to do" list poem is a great form and easy to teach to children. The illustrations are soft colored and inviting. They showcase the poems' energy perfectly. My favorite poems are honeybee, sun, boots, and moon. The poems are simple and lyrical and perfectly capture a day in the life of a child. What did you notice today? I look forward to future collections from Elaine.

(Chronicle, 2016)

No comments: