Friday, April 12, 2013

#FlannelFriday: Baa, Baa, Black Sheep

In honor of National Poetry Month, I'm turning various nursery rhymes and poems into felt sets. First up is the classic nursery rhyme "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep." Here are the words:

Baa, baa, black sheep,
Have you any wool?
Yes, sir, yes, sir,
Three bags full;
One for my master,
And one for my dame,
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.

I decided to use Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Bill quilt templates for the people (little girl, master, dame, and little boy) because I don't like making faces if I don't have to. Numerous variations of these templates are available on the Internet or in quilting books. I use Mary's pattern for the sheep (from her blog Miss Mary Liberry) . The bag pattern was a Microsoft Office clipart image.


I decided to make different colored sheep to use in the rhyme per a comment by Abby (the) Librarian on Storytime Katie's post about her "Mary Had a Little Lamb" flannel board. In my search for that post, I also stumbled across Jennie's "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep" flannel board on her blog Library Noise. She also used different colored sheep. I decided to make my sheep in primary and secondary colors. I may go back one day and add some more colors like gray, brown, and pink.

 
I didn't use any puff paint on this felt set. I plan to use it by placing the figures on my board and pointing to them as I recite the rhyme.


2 comments:

Jane said...

So colorful and happy! Beautiful work.

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Thank you, Jane!