Friday, May 20, 2011

#FlannelFriday: Questions & Observations

I don't have anything new to add to #FlannelFriday this week, but I do have a few questions and observations.

Besides the hot air balloons that I'm going to use each week during Summer Reading, I'm also planning to make pigs for my UK story time (for the English rhyme "This Little Pig") and pandas for my China & Japan story time. For the pigs I'm using a coloring sheet as a pattern. For the pandas, I'm using the illustrations from Panda-monium! by Cynthia Platt.

My question is this: when you're making a figure that has 2 colors, which color do you use as the base? (In the case of the pandas, black or white) Or do you make the whole thing 2 layers so it looks nice?

I'm enjoying making flannel stories. I've found that I like invisible tape better than clear for taping on the patterns because I can see it better. I'm wishing we had a craft store close because Wal-mart only carries black, white, green felt squares that you can buy individually. I predict a trip to Hobby Lobby in my future.

5 comments:

MelissaZD said...

I don't work with felt very much (though with all these great Flannel Friday ideas I'm going to have to change that) so I am also hoping for some feedback from our pros!

Katie said...

I would use white as the base and do a second layer of the black pieces for sure. And I have to say that Hobby Lobby has an excellent felt selection. (It's where I bought most of my felt for my starter collection.)

Sharon H said...

I would go with the light color as the base. White/Light has an element of transparency and the dark base would show through.

but in reality, I go with the color I have the most of.

Anonymous said...

I agree with using white as the base and then a second layer of black. Sometimes if I have too many layers I put a piece of Velcro on the back or it winds up too heavy for my board.

We don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby, but I did order a set from Discount School Supply when I was first getting started: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=1748&keyword=felt&scategoryid=0&CategorySearch=&Brand=&Price=

Our dollar store also sells individual sheets of felt in a bazillion different colors for 25 cents each. So does JoAnn Fabrics. So check those kind of places as well (if you have them).

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Thanks ladies! That's very helpful. I considered buying a set of felt, but since I'm so new to making flannel board sets, I like to buy my felt in individual pieces.